Ten Reasons why the Free World should boycott the 2008 Olympic Games in
1) Human rights are practically non-existent in Communist China. Religious
persecution, imprisonment and murder of non-violent political dissidents,
torture, organ harvesting and sentences to hard labour are widespread.
2) The lack of freedom of the press and safety risks for foreign reporters.
Many foreign websites are banned in China, foreign reporters are prohibited from
interviewing anyone without permission from the government, and the content of
all broadcasting is severely restricted. Foreign reporters have been arrested
and sentenced to prison under vague and wide-reaching security laws.
3) The 1980 Olympic Games in Communist Russia were boycotted by 64 states.
Beijing is no different from Moscow in 1980, which was also the capital of a
Communist police state.
4) Communist China constantly threatens to attack Taiwan. China's government
passed a law that explicitly calls for military intervention in response to any
intention by the democratic government of Taiwan to declare independence.
Military manoeuvres indicate that the Communists' military is preparing to
enforce this law.
5) Beijing has the most polluted air in the world. Studies and satellite photos
have proven that Beijing suffers from extremely high nitrogen dioxide levels,
vitally dangerous to the health of the athletes.
6) China is plagued by widespread social, political, and economic unrest.
A surge in land grabs and forced evictions by the Chinese government for reasons
of economic expansion and Olympic Games
preparations have sparked thousands of protests. The government has murdered
hundreds of protesters.
7) The Chinese have been bribing and threatening members of the International
8) A boycott will encourage human rights in China.
9) Holding the Olympic Games in Communist China contradicts the Olympic Charter.
The Olympic Charter defines the philosophy of Olympism as the "respect for
universal fundamental ethical principles" and its goal of promoting "a
peaceful society concerned with the preservation of human dignity."
10) Don't repeat the errors of 1936 when Nazi Germany was allowed to host the
Olympic Games The Olympic Games will give Communist China the same propaganda
tool Nazi Germany enjoyed. Not since 1936 have the ideals of Olympics been so
Published June 28, 2006 by the China Support Network (CSN).
CSN represents Americans who are "on the side" of the students in
Tiananmen Square - standing for democratic reform, human rights, and freedom in
For dissident news; to support a stronger China policy; or get more